Overview: Although it is not necessary to know how to change Outlook data file location for OST in MS Outlook. Outlook users store their necessary data files in the OST file format while working in offline mode. These OST files are then saved at a default location on the local storage. Changing the location of the OST file is not necessary. However, due to various factors, it became necessary for the user to change the default location of the OST file. Some of the factors are due to less storage space, if Outlook account gets deleted, or many more.
This blog will explain different approaches that will help the user to alter the Outlook OST file location. Users require patience and technical knowledge to perform the process.
Let’s begin the article with manual procedures.
How to Change Outlook Data file Location?
Follow the below-discussed methods if you want to change the location of OST Outlook file.
Method1. Try Outlook Email Client
Users can use their Outlook account to change Outlook data file location for OST in Outlook to a new location. In this, users must know the default location of the OST file, which depends on the Windows OS version installed on the system.
Note: This method operates only for Outlook 2013, 2010, 2007, and 2003 versions.
The OST file default location is:
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
To alter the OST file location. User has to heed to these steps:
- First, open the Account Settings dialog box and pick the Data Files.
- Now, choose the Exchange Server account and snap-on
- In the Microsoft Exchange account, Visit the Advanced section, unmark the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox and then tap.
- Once it prompts, tap on the OK tab and choose
- Select Outlook Data File Settings> Disable Offline Use > Yes in the Advanced tab.
Point to Remember: If the option Disable Offline Use is unprocurable. Then, the user should go back to Step 3 and unmark the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox.
- Now, select Outlook Data File Settings then pick ‘I want to move the old file’ option. Go for the Browse tab, then the offline Outlook Data (OST) file that was shifted to a new folder at any location. Then, tap Open and press
- Put a checkmark on the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox, tap on the OK. When it prompts to restart Outlook email client, tap on the OK in the Advanced section of Microsoft Exchange account.
- After that, take the exit from the Account Settings and the Mail Setup dialog boxes.
- Tap on in the Mail dialog box.
Point to remember: If the user will create a new OST file. Then, users manually have to delete their old OST file.
Method 2: Generate New Outlook Profile and shift Outlook OST file location into a New Location
Users can use this method to generate a new Outlook profile and configure a new location for the available OST. Users can use these instructions to learn how to change Outlook data file location through the given process.
- First, find the available OST and copy and paste it into the new location.
- Then, start the Control Panel and choose the option Mail.
- Once the user taps on the Mail option, the Mail Setup dialog box will be prompt.
- Tap on the Show Profile button in the Mail dialog.
- Now, tap the Add button in the Mail dialog box.
- Next, the user has to enter a new Profile name, tap OK.
- Enter the credentials of the user’s email account to generate a new Outlook profile in the next window. Then, tap Next.
- When Outlook completes the configuration of the user’s new email account. Inspect the Change account settings checkbox and tap Next.
- Then, tap on the More Settings button present at the bottom left corner of the interface in the Server Settings.
- Visit the Advanced tab and snap-on Outlook Data File Settings…
- Now, browse to the location where the user has his earlier Outlook Data File (OST). choose the file, and tap Open.
- After that, snap Finish to complete the process.
- When the user’s email profile gets configured. Then, alter the location of the available OST. Return to the Control panel and again choose Mail.
- Tap on the Always use this profile radio-button, then, in the drop-down list choose the New Profile.
- Tap Apply to save changes.
These were the manual approaches that one can use to change Outlook OST file location in MS Outlook. But the above manual methods could result in corruption in OST files. So, users can use OST File Recovery to easily repair their inaccessible or corrupt Exchange Outlook files. The software is widely compatible with Windows 10 and lower versions and supports MS Outlook 2019, 2016, and all the previous versions.
This blog explained the procedures for how to change Outlook data file location for OST in MS Outlook. However, it is not a good choice to alter the default location of the OST file. But, under certain circumstances, users have to do it. The manual procedure requires patience and skill, a single mistake can make the OST file inaccessible. Also, users don’t require the backup of OST files as Exchange can generate them again. If the users face Exchange disasters or crashes then they can open OST file without exchange server.