MS Outlook preserves its emails and other mailbox things in Outlook data files (PST) when serving as a desktop email client. User emails, contacts, calendars, journals, and other objects are stored in a PST file on the local disk. Therefore the PST data can only be accessed via the Outlook installed on the device where it is being stored. So, here we are telling you the methods on how to create a new PST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2007 & 2019. If you also want to know these methods, then read this write-up till the end.
First, start with the reasons for generating PST files.
Common Reasons for Creating PST files in Outlook-
The mailbox limits keep rising and developing day by day, the need to build archives for PST files is no more as relevant as previously. So, generating PST files can be highly useful for forensic / legal purposes when archiving email or complete mailboxes. Therefore, Microsoft continued the trend of allowing users to create PST files in its new email client i.e Outlook.
This is why creating PST files becomes important for users.
Now, take a look at methods for developing PST files.
How to Create a new PST file in Outlook 2016/2013/2007/2019-
To build a PST file, follow the steps below:
Method 1: Create a new PST file in Outlook 2007, 2013, 2016, 2019
- Launch the Outlook application.
- Then go to the Inbox, pick New Items >> More Items >>Outlook Data File.
- Now, type a File name.
- Add a password by checking the Add Optional Password box.
- Then, choose OK. Insert a password in both the Password and Verify Password text fields and press OK again.
- When you have a password, you need to enter it any time the data file is opened — e.g. when Outlook begins, or when Outlook opens the data file.
Method 2: Creating PST files via Account Settings
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook.
- Press the File present on the menu bar.
- Pick Info Tab.
- Press the Account Settings>>Account Settings.
- Pick Data Files in Account Settings dialog box and hit the Add button
- Now, store or save the name of the File of your choice and choose type as Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Tap OK
Method 3: Creating PST files Via Exporting Function
- Go to File, press Open & Export and select Import / Export.
- Click Export to a File in the opened dialog box, and tap Next.
- In create a file of type option, select Outlook Data file (.pst), and click Next.
- Now, pick the mailbox you want to export to. If you are engaged in exporting your calendar or contacts, go to the Export Outlook Data file window to pick the appropriate tab.
- Pick your backup file address, and push Finish.
- Then, insert a Password and check the backup file password.
- To open the backup file also enter Password.
These three manual methods help you in building up a new PST file in Outlook versions. But, these manual solutions may result in data loss or in corruption as well. As we all know that Outlook has both OST and PST files. The best way to generate PST files is by converting Outlook OST files into PST. This can be done quickly by OST to PST Converter. It is a secure tool available online which doesn’t need any technical experience or prior knowledge to use it. It is an alternative way to prevent data from any corruption or loss. If you want to make data safe, so use this suggested utility.
Outlook consists of both OST and PST files. This guide told all the methods for “how to create a new PST file in Outlook 2016 and other versions” as well. So use the above-given methods to create PST files manually. Also, if you don’t want to use them then another alternative method also explained here briefly.