Want to resolve the error ‘Outlook Indexing Options Greyed out’ effortlessly? Don’t worry the blog will give you all the necessary details you need to know for fixing this error. Before moving on to the solutions, let’s learn a little about Outlook clients’.
Outlook is the most used email client that is embedded with advanced search features. With the assistance of this attribute, users can detect specific email messages in the inbox. Moreover, there are advanced search fields available in MS Outlook that are turned off or grayed out. Hence, it still offers simple navigation that is not enough to detect large size PST File that may cause error ‘ indexing option in outlook 2013 is greyed out’.
Now, let’s move on to the tricks to resolve this inconsistency error with detailed navigation.
Methods to Repair Error ‘Indexing option in outlook 2016 is greyed out’ Manually
An individual can fix the error Outlook indexing options greyed out using these quick fixes i.e., Allowed indexed option from OST, redesign your search catalog, registry modification, verify group policy setting, and Windows search service is still running.
Below mentioned are the approaches that can provide the user desired outcome if followed step by step.
Fix 1. Allow indexed option from OST
- First, go to the “File” menu -> redirect to the “Account Settings” -> and then again tap “Account Settings“.
- Secondly, hit the “Data Files” tab.
- Thirdly, write down the “Location” for the “OST” file. Next, redirect to the folden given.
- Now, exit your Outlook application.
- Then, using “Windows Explorer” redirect to the folder where the OST files are:
Usually, the location set is “C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook“.
- Next, select all the OST files in the folder. (Press the “CTRL” button and then tap Select All).
- Now, right-tap the selected file then hit the “Properties“ tab.
- Then, tap the “Advanced” button.
- After, mark the “Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to File properties” alternative if it isn’t marked recently, then press the “OK“ button.
- In the end, launch your Outlook, then redirect to the “File” location -> go to “Options” -> tap “Search” -> hit “Indexing Options” > then press the “Modify” button and retick “Outlook“.
Fix 2. Redesign your search catalog.
- First, exit Outlook and launch Control Panel. Depending on the version of Office you’re using, you might need to tap the Start button. Then, in the Start menu, right-tap the Control Panel.
- Secondly, choose either one option:
A. Opt Indexing Options.
B. In the Search box, enter in the Indexing and then pick the Indexing Options.
- Thirdly, in the Indexed Locations popup wizard, under Change selected locations, mark the checkbox for the location you wish to alter and then tap OK.
- Finally, in the Advanced Options dialogue box, on the Index Settings tab, under Troubleshooting, hit Rebuild. A Rebuild Index popup generates a warning that the “index might take a long time to finish’’. Tap OK to begin rebuilding the index.
Fix 3. Registry Modification
- Generate a brand new DWORD (32-bit), retitle it as PreventIndexingOutlook, and set it at a value 0.
Fix 4. Verify Group policy setting
You also have a look at the Group Policy settings and make a slight change if needed.
- First, run gpedit.msc to launch the Local Group Policy Editor and redirect to the following setting:
Go to Computer Configuration -> redirect to Administrative Templates -> tap Windows Components -> and hit the Search bar.
- Finally, on the right side, you will observe the Prevent indexing Microsoft Office Outlook option. Make sure it is set to ‘Not Configured or Disabled’ option.
Fix 5. Windows Search service is still running
- First, hold Win key + R to launch the Run wizard, enter in the Services.msc and hit the Enter button.
- Secondly, verify whether the status of Windows Search is Running.
- Thirdly, if it is stopped, try running it.
- In the end, if it’s already running, try pausing it and then again boot it to observe the outcome.
How to resolve ‘Indexing option in outlook 2016 is greyed out’ using Automation:
The above manual approaches can be utilized if there are any errors in the Outlook PST file. Although, if these errors are not removed using the above manual approaches. Then, the user can reduce the underlying inconsistency levels using this professional tool. This professional utility is named SysInfoTools PST Recovery Tool. The tool is efficient and 100% safe for reducing inconsistency from PST files.
Summing It Up:
The above article suggests every possible way to fix the error ‘Outlook indexing options greyed out’. Although, manual solutions lack in providing an accurate outcome. Some of the disadvantages of the manual approach are: time taking, does not provide accurate solutions, data can be manipulated, etc. So, we also cover the automatic approach that you can utilize when using the manual method increases the level of inconsistency in the Outlook PST file.