MS Outlook is used by a wide range of users as email clients server for both the windows and Mac users. This enables its users to handle emails easily. With lots of its goodness users also have to face its consequences on the other. Several users have faced instant issues popping on the display as “unable to change default Account in Outlook”.
Microsoft serves with several products & services and specific forums for users to ask their queries. If you have gone through these Office forums, You easily notice the wave of issues, users are facing and how they are affecting productivity. So here in this blog, we will discuss how to resolve the “change the default account of Outlook”. Let’s start with understanding the reason why the users are not able to change the default Account in Outlook.
Common Reasons Behind Cannot Open or Your Default Email Account Error in Outlook:-
There are a number of reasons responsible for this error, some of them are listed below:
- When Outlook is executing in compatibility mode, then Outlook will not start.
- If there is a corrupted XML File in the Navigation Settings folder.
- When uninstall and reinstall procedures are not completed successfully on the system.
- If you are using an older version of Microsoft Outlook.
- If there is any damaged or deleted Outlook file then it will corrupt the whole application.
Manual Methods to Fix “Change default account in Outlook issue” :
Below you will find different methods to fix this default account change issue in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2010, and below versions. Kindly follow the curated ways correctly to resolve this problem in Outlook.
1. Repair the corrupted Outlook Data File with Inbox Repair Tool
A damaged Outlook PST file is one of the major reasons that cause such an issue as it stops the working of Outlook. Below steps will help to repair and restore a corrupted Outlook data file. So follow the steps to repair PST with ScanPST.exe.
- Go to C: Drive >> Program Files >> Office 365.
- In Access Search box, type exe and get the SCANPST.EXE file.
- Now, double-click the SCANPST.EXE file and navigate the PST file location.
- Tap Start to begin the scanning process.
- If there exist any error, it will show as “Found errors in the file. And to repair the errors, Tap Repair”.
- Press on the Repair button and the recovery process will begin.
- Once the repair process is finished, View Outlook with the PST file.
2. Recover Navigation Pane Settings File:
- Click on the Start button of Windows system.
- Type Outlook.exe/resetnavpane and Tap on the Enter key.
- This will reset the settings in the navigation pane file.
- Here, choose the file and view the Outlook application.
If the file is not restored, Remove or delete the file with following steps:-
- Go to Start and type %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook.
- The system will list all the configuration files.
- Access search and type the Outlook XML file name.
- Then, right-click the XML file and choose Delete.
3. Recreate a New Profile:-
When a new Outlook profile is created, try to import all the old data to it. This will generally remove Cannot Open Your Default Email Folders error within the Outlook profile. To recreate a new profile, the steps are mentioned below:
- First, go to Start >> Control Panel >> Mail.
- Access the mail window, click Data Files and choose the Add option.
- Now, set the newly created profile as a default profile.
- View Outlook and it will view with the new profile.
- Now, You need to import the old data into the new profile.
- View Outlook, Press File >> Open button.
- Then, in the next window, click on Import >> Import from another program.
- Select the old data file and tap on Next.
- Once the import process Finished, Tap on Finish.
4. Turn Off Compatibility Mode:
At the instant of time when Outlook is executing in Compatibility Mode, it will not start. So, it is suggested to disable the Compatibility Mode. Follow the below step carefully to turn off compatibility mode:-
- Go to Start search box and type exe.
- Choose the Outlook.exe file and right-click on it.
- View the Properties tab and choose compatibility.
- Uncheck Run this program in compatibility mode option.
- At last press on Apply >> OK button.
After performing the above method carefully and successfully you will resolve the issue change default account in outlook successfully.
Consequences/Limitations of Manual Methods:
Somehow it’s not that easy to perform these methods. Native methods are good but have consequences as:-
- Time- consuming and Lengthy.
- One must have the technical expertise
- Users also face data-loss and data alteration.
So to save yourself from such a hassle situation you can use a professional utility such as PST Recovery Tool. This is one of the standalone software that restores all damaged emails from corrupt Outlook PST files.
Ongoing through this blog, users can swiftly resolve the issue Cannot Open or change the Default account in Outlook with the discussed approach. Whenever you face such an error try to resolve with the manual method first. But, somehow if you fail to do so then use PST Recovery Software.