If your Outlook freezes or hangs, at some point while using it and showing up error messages like Microsoft Outlook stops responding, Outlook stuck at processing, Outlook not responding, or Outlook stops working” then this post is for you. Therefore read it till the end to know the best effective solutions to fix this Outlook error.
Sometimes it is extremely frustrating for some users and can also affect organizations enormously. In this article, we will consider the causes and solutions to resolve these issues. According to Microsoft, these problems occur due to one or more of the afterward reasons. Let’s have a look at the list of reasons or causes for why MS Outlook Not Responding.
Why Microsoft Outlook Stops Responding or Not Working?
- The user hasn’t installed the latest updates.
- When Outlook is adding an attachment to a user’s mail.
- Microsoft Outlook is in use by some other process or a program.
- A newly installed add-in is interfering with Outlook (see below image).
- Your mailbox has reached the maximum capacity.
- Some Outlook data files are either broken or have become corrupt.
- Interference due to an antivirus program.
- Your user profile has become corrupt.
- A conflict between Outlook and another program.
Try These Methods to Get Rid of Outlook Stops Working/Responding/Processing Error
Following are some manual tricks that you can try to fix this Outlook not responding error. So apply the mentioned methods to solve the issue and to operate MS Outlook without any trouble.
1. Opening Outlook in safe mode
There is a powerful chance that the Add-ins are making Outlook run abnormally. It is then suggested to run Outlook in safe mode. To enter safe mode, hold the CTRL-key and left-click the Outlook icon. When you open Outlook in safe mode, you will see the safe mode mentioned in the title bar in parenthesis (see below).
2. Disable your Outlook Add-ins
In the previous method, operating Outlook in the safe mode might solve the hang issue, but it also disables all the Add-ins at the same time. In this way, you can pinpoint the Add-in which is liable for these issues. Click File > Options. This will open the Outlook Options Dialog box. In Manage, click Add-ins > Go. Doing this will open another dialog box, which has a record of all the add-ins. You can check/ uncheck the Add-ins one by one to find which add-in is creating the difficulty.
3. Safely End Outlook in case of software hang
Seldom when you try to terminate Outlook it doesn’t end on the first try; therefore you continuously try to close the program diverse times which produces the hang. In this situation, you can run the ‘Task Manager’ and select Outlook, and hit ‘End process.’
4. Close all other memory-intensive programs
As compared to other applications, Outlook is the most complicated and memory-intensive program. Due to this confinement, it sometimes hangs or freezes. Therefore it is suggested to stop or end all the memory-intensive programs before operating Outlook on your machine. You can appropriately terminate the expected program by ending it via Task Manager, as described earlier.
5. Repair Outlook data files
Outlook comes with an inbuilt repair tool called Scanpst.exe to repair your Outlook data files (.PST or .OST) if damaged. In order to run this repair tool, you need to close Outlook first. For Outlook, 2019, 2016 and Office 356 Scanpst.exe can be discovered here-
(Any version) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office16\
For MS Outlook 2016 and 2019, it can be found here-
- (32 bit) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- (64 bit) C:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office15\
- After starting the Scanpst.exe, choose the Outlook data file which you want to repair.
- Shortly, a popup box will show you the status of the repair process.
6. Disable your anti-virus program
Most of the time, it is the struggle between the anti-virus program and add-ins, which makes Outlook stops responding, freeze, or hang. You can try updating your anti-virus program. If doing this doesn’t solve this problem, then try disabling the anti-virus program and check whether Outlook runs without any delays.
7. Repair your MS office suite
Now if you attempted all the overhead methods with no luck, then you should check out this method.
- In the Control panel, click Programs and Features -> MS Office suite -> hit Change.
- Clicking on Change will open a Dialog box. Choose the appropriate option accordingly.
Best Approach – Outlook PST Repair Tool
If you tried all the above methods with no luck, as a last resort, you should consider using a reliable third-party software such as SysInfoTools Outlook PST Repair. It can fix & repair PST files of any size as it not limited by file size. You can later save the retrieved PST files in various formats such as PST to MSG, PDF, MBOX, CSV, etc. Users can also Export the recovered PST files to Office 365, web-enabled email services, and Exchange Server.
We have discussed various methods to resolve the ‘Outlook Stops Responding’ issue associated with Outlook. Common methods might not work in this case; hence, it is advised to try using PST repair tools such as Microsoft’s Scanpst.exe or a reliable third-party tool such as SysInfoTools Outlook PST Repair. In many ways, the SysInfo Outlook PST Repair software is considerably better than the Scanpst.exe.