Summary:- Exchange Database files store all types of mailboxes created in Exchange Server. However, the user needs to convert the EDB file to Outlook PST for various reasons like Backup of data, reducing mailbox size, Cetera. To solve the backup issue, Microsoft comes with different methods in the Exchange framework by which you can easily convert EDB to PST format for backup purposes. You can also take the help of the third-party tool solution that allows you to convert multiple EDB files into PST format efficiently.
An EDB File is an Exchange Database file that stores in-process and non-SMTP mailboxes. A single Exchange server can have multiple Exchange database files. Exchange database files were architected differently in previous versions of Exchange, though they served the same function. However, understanding different EDB files is very helpful, like Priv edb: Pub edb: STM files.
A PST file is an Outlook mailbox that stores emails and other items. When you create an Outlook profile configured for POP, a PST file is automatically created. Since these files no longer count against mailbox size, users can free up storage space on their mail servers when moving files from a server mailbox to .pst files.
Why Convert EDB to PST?
There are multiple reasons why you need to convert Exchange EDB to PST. Some of them are mentioned below:
- It will improve server performance by reducing mailbox sizes.
- To backup Exchange Mailboxes.
- By displacing corrupted EDB data to PST, we can recover the data.
- To decrease the possibility of EDB file corruption & Jet errors.
How to Convert EDB to PST Manually
There are different methods to convert EDB to Outlook Data File(.pst). You may use manual ways, but they are techy and not very user-friendly. Before making any perception, let’s examine some standard manual techniques.
- Using Exchange Management Shell
- Using Exchange Admin Center
Method 1: Convert EDB to PST File via Exchange Management Shell
You can view the status of the database and make changes using Exchange Management Shell. Please ensure that the PST file should be saved in a shared network folder. By following the command-line interface, one can access the database and make changes in this method.
Step 1: Enter this command to get the detailed list of mailboxes in a database.
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <DatabaseName>
Step 2: Enter this command to convert EDB to PST files.
Step 3: By this, you can check the status of the export mailbox requestThe data of mailboxes will store in newly PST files after this command. Consider that the destination folder is a shared folder.
Step 4: After the process gets completed, run this command to cancel the export request
Remove-MailboxExportRequest -Identity <Name of the export request>
Method 2: Via Exchange Admin Centre
Exchange Admin Centre allows users to convert EDB to PST file free with no time. All you have to follow the given below steps:
- Log in as an administrator to the Exchange Admin Centre.
- Now go to permission and click on Admin roles.
- In the Admin role, go to the Recipient Management and click +.
- Under the New Role Group wizard, click on the + option.
- Now select the Mailbox Import Export, Tap on Add button, and click OK to continue.
- A new “Mailbox Import Export” option has been added to the “Recipient Management.”
- Choose the “mailboxes” you want to export. Next, click More(…) and select “Export to a PST file“.
- “Choose” the Mailbox you want to export.
- Set the destination path of a shared folder.
- Then, select the Mailbox to which the email will be delivered after conversion. Then, click on Finish.
These are some manual ways to convert EDB files to PST files. Now let’s discuss the limitations of Manual Methods.
- These manual methods are a time-consuming process.
- Chances of data corruption and data loss
- Required some technical skills to perform, non-technical users may find some difficulties.
- It may also cause permanent deletion or data corruption.
Convert EDB to PST Using EDB to PST Converter Open Source
If you find these manual methods a little confusing or time-consuming, then here is the best EDB to PST Converter free that can easily help users convert Exchange EDB files into Outlook PST format. Sysinfo EDB to PST Converter software is the most reliable tool that converts corrupt EDB files to PST or Saves them to MSG, PDF, MSG Unicode, EML, MBOX, TXT, RTF, and HTML formats.
Previous versions of Exchange Server, like 2007, had storage groups for storing mailbox data. Since Exchange 2010, storage groups have been replaced by databases; this makes data management more difficult for users. By converting your EDB to PST, you will be able to access all your files and folders in Outlook.
Benefits of EDB to PST Converter Software
- Attachments can be extracted separately from EDB mailbox emails into PST.
- This software works with all versions of the Exchange Server.
- Convert EDB to various file formats.
- Remove duplicate items from selected folders.
- Split large PST files into smaller ones.
As per the above discussion, We learned how to convert EDB to PST files with two different methods manual and automated tool-based. Here, you’ll also find the primary cause of this conversion and some crucial software benefits. Sysinfo EDB to PST Converter offers a free demo version that converts 25 items per folder. You can also go with the manual solutions if you have expertise.
Question: How do I export my EDB mailbox?
Answer: You can easily export all the EDB mailboxes data in different file formats with the help of EBD to PST Converter
Question: How do I convert EDB to PST?
- Install and Run Sysinfo EDB to PST Converter
- Select the EDB Files
- Opt for saving format as PST
- Click on the Start button to begin the conversion