Are you curious about learning the difference between VDI VHD VMDK VHDX files systems? If yes, then in this blog we will explain every single detail regarding the above virtual machine file extensions.
A disk image file is created in such a manner that it comprises the design and details of the disk storage capability. Furthermore, it can be considered as the replica of the repository of the original file. Moreover, it is a copy of the storage device of the source. Hence, the information of the image file is self-supporting.
Now, below we will look at the properties of 4 virtual hard disk file extensions.
Difference Between VDI, VHD, VMDK & VHDX file formats?
VDI (Virtual Disk Image)
VDI i.e., Virtual Disk Image is a file extension that is utilized by Oracle VM VirtualBox, an open-source virtualization procedure of the system; where it very well may be mounted as a hard circle on Mac, Windows, and UNIX operating systems that permits the client to run their program on any kind of OS in the trending technology.
Attributes of VDI
- Remote access is one of the determining features of VDI file format.
- A hypervisor is considered as the best attribute for a situation if a local server fails, then the system program will shift to another web server without causing any disturbance.
Benefits of the VDI File
- Security: Generally, we as a whole will store our information in local equipment like PCs or PCs. In this way, when a framework is damaged or harmed, the entire information inside the framework will be lost. In VDI, information is saved with significant level excess, so a client need not stress over information loss.
- Cost Cutting: By opening the VDI services from a service provider, the client can easily suspend the expense of the hardware. In addition, you can get back to the local system from any electronic device and make use of the older device in your office. Any device such as an outdated mail client, an old tablet or smartphone can be used likewise.
Limitations Of VDI File
- The numerous file formats can once be converted to the VDI file format but no VDI file can be converted to other file formats.
- A user cannot share the image to the coworking clients until and unless they have access to VirtualBox.
VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)
VHD is a file extension that symbolizes a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). The VHD file comprises file systems and disk partitions that too may include no.of files/folders. It is utilized similarly as any local hard drives of the VM.
Attributes of VHD File
- The VHD file allows working on various operating systems on the same machine.
- A VHD is an inexpensive way to utilize several OSs in a single HDD without partitioning.
- Alter the Virtual Machine directly from your central unit that includes:-
- The File Recovery system
- Manages the disk image and finally patches them.
- The full backup of the system.
Benefits of the VHD File:
- Supports Multiple Accounts: Users can make various clients working on one operating system, as a framework permits multi-client benefits. The benefit is that the progressions made in one framework won’t influence the other one as they will be allocated to a particular OS.
- Recovery and Backup: In the VHD files, one can easily reciprocate the fixes they made. One can easily recover data that is corrupted/damaged/inaccessible due to any intruding activities.
- Successful Resource Utilization: This framework is best tested by the Software Testers as they need various setups for running and testing an alternate arrangement of uses. This is the best utilization of VHD files.
Limitations Of VHD File
- This VHD file can store up to 2TB(2028 GB) of data by default.
- By default, a part of 512 bytes is initially held by VHD.
- No rescaling is allowed after the VHD files are inaccessible.
VMDK (Virtual Machine Disk File)
VMDK i.e., Virtual Machine Desk is additionally a sort of virtual hard disk drive utilized by Virtual Machines, for example, VMware Workstation and Virtual Box. This file framework was created by VMware. They built up this file framework for their virtual items.
Attributes of VMDK File
- VMDK file formats can easily replicate the structural HDD of your local PC.
- It secures RAID within SAN storage as the duplication offers the off-site VirtualMachine system.
Benefits of the VMDK File
- VMDK files are cordially secured by the screenshots and CDP i.e., Active Data security,
- The VMDK files can easily be exported using the active exportation method.
- It is possible to regenerate and reboot the damaged Virtual Machines by using VMDK files.
Limitations Of VMDK File
- It is extremely difficult to restore the lost data from VMDK files and impractical to recover the modules of the Virtual machine such as documentation stored in MS Doc and Excel Spreadsheets.
- The max size of the VMDK file is 2TB but can be expanded up to 62 TB.
VHDX (Virtual Hyper-V File)
VHDX is a Windows 8 Virtual Hard Drive record. It would seem that a genuine physical hard drive however, is saved in a solitary folder that is available on a physical HDD. Also, you can say that it is an inclusive edition of the VHD file extension with new abilities, for example, execution improvement, 16TB maximum allowable size, data corruption prevention mechanism, etc.
Attributes of VHDX File
- The capacity to store metadata that clients need to store or record.
- It has a 4kB logical virtual disk that will enhance its performance.
- It has an advanced arrangement of the virtual hard disk which can be utilized to function admirably on the large sector disks.
Benefits of the VHDX File:
- Large Size: The large size blocks are for differencing and dynamic disk to help them gain their workload necessities.
- Efficient: The data remains efficient(also known as trim).
- Data protection: It offers total protection that is securing the data from corruption.
Limitations Of VHDX File:
- The VHDX file can only handle the max disk size limit of up to 64TB.
- The VHDX file is not necessarily owned by a virtual machine.
- It is extremely difficult to repair a corrupt VMDK file and restore its contents.
Also Read: How to open VHDX in Windows 10
All the Virtual hard disk file extensions have particular advantages and disadvantages. Though, one can also recover the corrupted files using Virtual Disk Recovery for faster restoration. This section of SysInfottols comprises incredible tools for successfully restoring the corrupted VHD / VHDX / VDI / VMDK files.
We have discussed the major topics that state the difference between VDI VHD VMDK VHDX along with a method that helps recover all these Virtual Disk files corrupted data. An automated utility will help maintain data intact and thus unaltered throughout the recovery process. I hope you find this blog valuable.